WWE 2K18: Last year’s title gave a solid performance and even so fan of the 2k Sports can't wait to get their hands on the next installment. Rumors surrounding the 2K18 have been flooding the gaming world for quite a while now. Although the 2K17 is as good as it gets, with its variety of different game modes, 26 superstars and thirteen different songs, there is always room for improvement. Of recent a number of details have tumbled out surrounding this year's annual WWE game. Here, in this post, we'll be taking a look at the latest in the world of WWE 2K18.
WWE Series BackGround- Have a History Check!!
One of the most successful gaming franchises in the business today, the WWE 2K series began its long journey way back in the year 2000. The acclaimed series is developed by Yuke's and Visual Concepts, while 2K Sports holds the rights to publishing.
- Like similar gaming franchises which combine the world of action sports with that of gaming, this one too features the essential components of professional wrestling against a virtual setting.
- Outside of matches and tournaments with playable characters, there are elaborate storylines and campaign modes that allow players to play out the career of a wrestler in the best way they can, including overcoming his career obstacles and ultimately making it big among the giants.
- Originally named Smackdown (the first lot were titled WWF Smackdown), the title was later changed to WWE '12 in 2011.
- A couple of years later when 2K Sports took over the role of its exclusive publisher replacing THQ, the series name was changed to WWE 2K. At present, there are nineteen games in the series and WWE 2K18 is the 20th one.
WWE 2K18 Release Date
Earlier we had come up with an October 2017 release date for WWE 2K18 by analyzing the launch pattern of the previous games. Here, take a look:
- Most gaming franchises of this kind (NBA, for instance) have long held a reputation for churning out a new game every single year without fail, so quite obviously we're looking at the release of WWE 2K18 in 2017.
- Further, WWE 2K17 released this year on October 11, 2016. If we look at the past games in the franchise, the titles are usually released sometime around the October-November window.
- But the most recent games have continually pushed the date a little ahead of the previous year's release. So an early October release date for the upcoming game is highly possible.
Our guess wasn’t off the mark at all! Take-Two Interactive had soon after revealed that the game is coming out in Fall 2017. The official release date for WWE 2K18 was unveiled along with the "Be Like No One" trailer in June. The title will be available from October 17 onwards.
WWE 2K18 Features and Gameplay: What can we expect?
The WWE 2K series has been in existence for nearly two decades, which means that it has undergone a lot of changes since the first time we played it. While the first couple of games had much simpler mechanics which were more or less limited to striking and grappling moves, the series soon began to adopt significant changes that allowed it to bring it closer and closer to its actual counterpart. WWE 2K17, in particular, brought some significant changes in terms of gameplay, the most significant one being the in-match rollout system, which allows one player to roll out of the ring from the middle of a match involving a number of wrestlers to let the brawl have a more focused character for a while.
We're quite used to seeing something like this in real-life wrestling matches, so this addition makes the new game a lot more flesh and blood. However, besides this and the excitement of being able to take the brawls outside of the ring at times. there aren't too many new elements in the new WWE 2k18 game.
We don't for certain what the makers are planning for WWE 2K18 at the time. At this time it is important to consider the fact that the games are spaced within the span of a single year, so we can assume that there are a lot of ideas that the devs have kept on the sidelines for the series which they cannot immediately implement in the upcoming title due to having less than 12 months to work on one.
We're hoping that there are a good number of things up their sleeves and perhaps some of them will make their way into WWE 2K18. Plus there are a few features that we'd like to make a comeback too. Here are a few of them:
- WWE 2K18 My Career Mode:
My Career was certainly a big miss in the predecessor of the WWE 2K18. However, it is a certainty now that My Career Mode is going to stage a comeback in the WWE 2K18 features. In fact, it is worthy of mentioning that this favorite game mode is going to have a much more serious story. The online content of the My Career mode has also got the Road to Glory, which makes it the storyline very much complicated. Certainly, being an ardent fan of the game you are bound to be intrigued with the arrival of this feature in the My Career mode in WWE 2K18 features.
- Graphical Upgrade
We bet this is what figures on top of everyone's wishlist for WWE 2K18. The previous games in the series have long been plagued by the lack of smooth graphical detailing and lifeless animation. While WWE 2K17 came closer to achieving better standards in this regard than any of its predecessors, there's still a lot of room for improvement especially if we compare it with other present day sporting games.
- The animation still looks a little chalky, and the characters are as unrealistic as ever. For WWE 2K18, we are certain that the devs will try to improve this aspect as much as possible.
- Engine Upgrade
The first point on our list, and nearly every possible problem we can think of with the series, is related to this one right here.
- The gameplay in the most recent game remains slow and sometimes unresponsive, and it lacks the overall pace of the earlier Smackdown vs. Raw titles. Even the online multiplayer modes suffer from the same problem.
We understand that the lag is a result of piling a number of desirable features on top of older engineering, so it's high time that the devs opt for an improved engine for the upcoming game i.e. WWE 2k18.
However, with the games coming out every year, figuring this out could be a bit of a problem as the series usually seems focused on adding new features at present.
But new features will not do anything for a game that has a weak gameplay to begin with. We hope to see some real improvement in this project.
- Bring Back Older Modes
One of the primary reasons why many fans lost interest in the game that came out this year is the lack of the 2K Showcase, one of the most popular single-player features that
- Another popular mode that has been long removed is the General Manager Mode, which allowed fans to virtually play a crucial role in taking the brands forward under their managerial expertise.
- The player was required to select a brand and start a year chock full of activities, including signing on the most suitable wrestlers, booking matches, managing finances, and other such intricate things in order to gain fan support.
- There was even a General Manager of the year Award that went to the show that held the most number of fans.
Both the above
WWE 2K18 Cover Star (Seth Rollins it is)
We had earlier reported in wwe2k18gamer, that the announcement of trailer and cover star was due this week. And only a day later, Seth Rollins appeared on ESPN SportsCenter and announced that he is the new cover star of WWE 2K18. Rollins later took to Twitter to show his gratitude for being chosen as this year's WWE 2K cover star.
As per the official press release: "Rollins will personify WWE 2K18's worldwide marketing campaign--Be Like No One--which invites players to explore Rollins' identity, as well as those of several other WWE Superstars while learning more about the game."
It’s probably worth noting that the announcement came is a little late compared to last year and had very understandably got fans unsettled. But all is good it seems especially since we have now got a WWE 2K18 release date.
WWE 2K18 Pre-Order Bonus Details
One of the popular talking points about any video game from the sports genre is the pre-order bonus. And quite naturally there were lots of rumors regarding the WWE 2K18 pre-order bonuses before the game was announced. A number of suggestions were there regarding the playable characters that are going to be provided as bonuses for pre-ordering the WWE 2K18. Among the suggested names, one of the most popular ones was Kurt Angle.
And eventually, when the WWE 2K18 pre-order bonus was announced it became evident that the developers of the game have gone for the popular choice. In fact, Kurt Angle himself broke the news that he will be the pre-order bonus character of the game.
Certainly, Angle is one of the big names as far as the world of wrestling is concerned. He has won the Gold Medal in the Olympics and has done enough on the WWE circuit to receive such recognition. In the game, a couple of versions of the character will be available – ‘American Hero’ and ‘Wrestling Machine’. While the first one represents his earlier days as a wrestler, the second one portrays his days with the overhauled ECW.
How to Pre-order WWE 2K18?
Pre-ordering the new edition of the game in the WWE 2K series is pretty easy. And the steps that you need to follow are provided in a tabular form.
- Step 1: Go to the official website of WWE
- Step 2: Then on the top of the page you can spot the section – ‘SHOP’. Click on that, and you will be redirected to a new page.
- Step 3: In the new page you can spot the 5 different categories which are Superstars, T-shirts, Title Belts, Shop All, New, and Clearance. Among those five, click on Shop All.
- Step 4: In the ‘Shop All’ section, you can find yet another category ‘Toys and Video Games’. Click on that and you can pre-order WWE 2K18. However, you can play the game from October 17.
List of Gettable
There are quite a few things that the publishers of the game WWE 2K18 are going to provide as the pre-order bonus. One of the most important things that the gamers will be able to get while they pre-order the latest game in the WWE 2K series is the early access. Along with that there will be exclusive season passes and bonus digital content. So pre-ordering the game sounds pretty beneficial for all the gamers. But most of these are available for all those who order either the Deluxe or the Collector’s Edition of the game. For all the buyers of the WWE 2K18 Standard Edition, the basic pre-order bonus content will be up for grab. Here is the list of the gettable when gamers pre-order WWE 2K18 in a tabular form.
- Pre order bonus content
- Pre order bonus
- Early Access
- Bonus digital content
- Season pass
- Pre order bonus
- Early Access
- Bonus digital content
- Season pass
- Physical collectibles
WWE 2K18 Trailer
The trailer dropped on WWE 2K’s official site on Jun 19, 2017, and although it doesn’t show any gameplay, it’s impressive enough, and we are sold. As you can see, Rollins breaks into a not-very-secure WWE facility vandalizing the place and actively destroying the memories of the most iconic WWE Superstars. For fans, it’s probably hard to watch when Rollins knock the head off a statue of Andre - The Giant sets Undertaker’s coffin on fire and other unspeakable acts. It makes us wonder is these are all for eyeball grabs or weather them means something as far as the video game’s creative direction is concerned. Guess we’ll have to wait for October to find out.
WWE 2K18 Release Platforms
In the past, the games in the series have been released across a number of platforms, including the PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, and Windows. And if a recent leak is to be believed then WWE 2K18 may support Nintendo Switch. There is little to support this claim apart from a listing on Austrian game retailer Libro, first spotted by Redditor TheRealPhoenixWright. Of course, the listing was taken down immediately.
WWE 2K18 will, most likely, come out on all of the consoles on the list when it first hits the market, with the PC version coming out later in the year, as is usually the norm. Going purely by speculations, this is how we have charted out the release of the upcoming game.
- WWE 2K18 Release Date for PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One: 1st week of October 2017.
- WWE 2K18 PC Release Date: November 2017.
WWE 2K18 Price
We are a long from knowing what the makers are planning on bringing in the WWE 2K18 which is a huge factor in the price of the video game.
There is no way to know what changes the makers will bring to the next game, which is a huge factor in determining its price.
But we're expecting at least some things from our features wish list to come to fruition, which could reflect in its pricing. Moreover, 2K will release WWE 2K18's console versions all at the same time, which could be another determinant of how much we have to pay for the upcoming title.
So going by past pricing trends of the franchise, the current prices in the video gaming industry, and with all other things in mind, we think that WWE 2k18 may be priced somewhere around the $80 mark for the normal edition.
Last Few Words.......
we don't expect that Yuke's and 2K will have the kind of luxury (in terms of the time) to implement all of the things that we want to see in their next game. Regardless, a lot of fans are looking forward to getting their hands on WWE 2K18 as it could finally be the instalment to deliver the kind of detailing that we have been craving for a long time. Make sure you come back later to check up on our regular updates on WWE 2K18 Release Date, Gameplay, Features, and other details. Don't forget to tell us what you would like to see in the comments below.